About Me

My photo
a first grade teacher

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mon Pain Merveilleux (my original recipe)

Being a bread lover, I came up with this idea of inserting sour cream in this recipe that I developed myself.
Try it and let me know how you like it.





Ingredients:

3 cups of A.P flour
5 and 1/3 to 6 cups of bread flour or hi-gluten flour (may vary depending on the flour used)
1/2 tablespoon of salt
3 teaspoons of instant yeast
3 tablespoons of sugar
1/3 cup of sour cream
1 tablespoon of veg. oil
3 cups of warm water
1 cup of warm milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (to counteract the egg flavor; optional)
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon anise seeds (optional)

*For the eggwash:
you will need 2 egg yolks, 1/4 tsp. of vanilla extract, and 1/2 tbs. of water/ or coffee to enhance color), 1/2 cup of sesame seeds for sprinkling on top (optional)

How to:
Place all the liquid ingredients, sour cream, sugar, yeast, salt in a bread machine (Kitchenaid stand mixer,  food processor, or a big mixing bowl if you want to knead the dough manually) mix well; then add flours gradually to the mixture, knead until you obtain a good bread dough consistency not too stiff and not too runny. let the dough ferment in a warm place for 45 minutes.
Place the dough on your kitchen counte,r knead a little bit to deflate those nice bubbles. The dough should be sticky, so use some oil to manage rolling the small breads; form the dough into small balls (about the size of an apricot)then slightly flatten the rolls; brush with the egg wash (*see above); sprinkle with sesame seeds. Using a sharp paring knife or kitchen scissors, make one horizontal and one vertical slash on the top of each roll. This cross will open during baking. let the rolls rise or proof for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Bake in a preheated oven at 400 F to 415 F untill golden in color. Cool on a wire rack..

Bonne Appetit

Yields about 2 dozens of small rolled breads, if you want, you may try half the recipe.

3 comments:

HanaĆ¢ said...

Thanks for posting the recipe, Wafae. As you know I made half the recipe and it was awesome! My buns must be smaller than yours because half the recipe yielded 22 small buns :o) I made a couple small changes which I'll post on my blog (some day soon, I hope). And I won't skip the egg wash next time. The buns looked pretty dull without it but the taste was great :o) Thanks again for sharing your original recipe!!

HanaĆ¢ said...

Btw, what happened to your carrot cake post? I left you a comment there yesterday, I think, and now it's gone... weird!

Vicki said...

These are beautiful! Someday I hope to tackle my yeast fear! I so wish Marie had a bread bake along.